Volume 6, Issue 6: June 2013
“Relationship without communication is like having sex without foreplay.”
- Conversational Foreplay: Making Intercourse More Enjoyable!
- The Problem With MEN
- Moment of Clarity, June, 2013: Happy Rich Dad: Poor Dad’s Day
Volume 6, Issue 5: May 2013
“The purpose of our lives is to be happy”
~ The Dalai Lama
Volume 6, Issue 4: April 2013
“But until a person can say deeply and honestly, ‘I am what I am today because of the choices I made yesterday,’ that person cannot say, ‘I choose otherwise.’”
Volume 6, Issue 3: March 2013
~John Dewey (1859-1952)
- The Gambler’s Dilemma
- Pain and the Patella: Change from Within
- Moment of Clarity: March, 2013, Hammer to the finger!
Volume 6, Issue 2: February 2013
“When you’re with your wife, you don’t say I love you to your wife every day but the ways you look at her and your actions are another way to communicate. Don’t focus on dialogue, only focus on what you’re expressing.”
- Role or Soul?
- One Common Phrase That Needs to Go
- Moment of Clarity – February, 2013, Suggestions for a Happy Valentines Day
Volume 6, Issue 1: January 2013
“Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.”
~John F. Kennedy
- Is Your Boss a Psychopath? Are You?
- Our Teachers Are Waiting
- Moment of Clarity – January 2013:Coach Gandalf
Volume 5, Issue 12: December 2012
“Expectation is the root of all heartache.”
- The Expectation/Frustration Connection
- A Gift for the Knower/Judger
- Moment of Clarity – December, 2012:Managing Expectations Newtown, Connecticut
Volume 5, Issue 11: November 2012
“A grownup is a child with layers on.”
- Childish or Childlike?
- A Thanksgiving Present Is Yours for the Choosing
- Moment of Clarity – November, 2012: Comfort Food
Volume 5, Issue 10: October 2012
“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”
- Putting an End to Suffering
- Picture This: Why Communicating Through Text Is Challenging
- Moment of Clarity – October, 2012: Down to Your Last Strike
Volume 5, Issue 9: September 2012
“A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”
- It’s Always the Other Guy
- Don’t Let a Little Black Swan Scare You
- Moment of Clarity – September, 2012: From Disagreement to Murder
Volume 5, Issue 8: August 2012
“In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.”
- Why I’m Going Against Yoda (and Mom, Dad, and Mrs. Merriwether)
- Why 99% of the Decisions We Make Aren’t Really Decisions
- Moment of Clarity – August, 2012: An invitation to the “Midas Touch”
Volume 5, Issue 7: July 2012
“If we would just slow down, happiness would catch up to us.”
~ Richard Carlson
Volume 5, Issue 6: June 2012
“But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.”
- The Question That Can Change Your Life
- Breaking Down the Bureaucracy Within
- Moment of Clarity (Video): Process in Pink
Volume 5, Issue 5: May 2012
“12 Signs of Presence (from an unknown 12-step source)
An increased tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen.
Frequent attacks of smiling.
Feelings of being connected with others and nature.
Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than from fears based on past experience.
An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
A loss of ability to worry.
A loss of interest in conflict.
A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
A loss of interest in judging others.
A loss of interest in judging self.
Gaining the ability to love without expecting anything in return.”
~ Dr. Tom Hill’s Eaglezine
- The Art of Repairing a Broken Connection
- You’ve Got Two Cheeks. Use Them!
- Moment of Clarity (Video): Transitions
Volume 5, Issue 4: April 2012
“To: Internal Revenue Service, Department of the Treasury Washington DC 20001
Enclosed is my 2011 Form 1040, together with payment. Please take note of the attached article from USA Today archives. In the article, you will note that the Pentagon paid $171.50 each for hammers and NASA paid $600.00 each for toilet seats.
Please find enclosed in this package four toilet seats (value $2,400.00) and six hammers (value $1,029.00). This is in payment for my total tax due of $3,429.00.
Out of a sense of patriotic duty, and to assist in the political purification of our government, I am also enclosing a 1.5 inch Phillips head screw, for which HUD duly recorded and approved a purchase vale of $22.00, as my contribution to fulfill the Presidential Election Fund option on Form 1040.
It has been a pleasure to pay my taxes this year, and I look forward to paying them again next year in accordance with officially established government values.
~Another satisfied taxpayer
- Proper Use of the F Word
- How to Change Your Luck
- Moment of Clarity (Video): What hiccups and arguments have in common.
Volume 5, Issue 3: March 2012
“Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.”
~ Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Making Space in the Beaker of Knowledge
- The Forgiveness Thing
- Moment of Clarity (Video): The Bucket List
Volume 5, Issue 2: February 2012
“Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go”
- HDClarity Tool Set: 7 Tools for a Clearer Picture
- May the Process Be with You
- Moment of Clarity (Video): Expectations: Whitney Houston
Volume 5, Issue 1: January 2012
“Checking the results of a decision against its expectations shows executives what their strengths are, where they need to improve, and where they lack knowledge or information. ”
Volume 4, Issue 12: December 2011
”When someone is impatient and says, “I haven’t got all day,” I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day?”
Volume 4, Issue 11: November 2011
“Speech is the mirror of the soul; as a man speaks, so he is.”
Volume 4, Issue 10: October 2011
“The intuitive mind (L/R) is a sacred gift. And the rational mind (K/J) is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” (parentheses mine, not Dr. Einstein’s).
- Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain
- Taking the High Road
- Moment of Clarity (video): At the ol’ ballgame
Volume 4, Issue 9: September 2011
“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
Volume 4, Issue 8: August 2011
“Anyone who limits her vision to memories of yesterday is already dead.”
- A Tale of Two Dogs
- You Know the Type, but do you Really
- Moment of Clarity (video): My Dad’s Three Rules of Life
Volume 4, Issue 7: July 2011
“The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”
- Committing to the Crash
- Out of the Playground, Into the Workplace
- Moment of Clarity (video): Casey Antony Walks
Volume 4, Issue 6: June 2011
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
- Change Everything in a Moment
- Breaking a Bad Habit
- Moment of Clarity (video): Where does all that brain power go?
Volume 4, Issue 5: May 2011
“Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism.”
~Carl Gustav Jung
- The Addictive Conversation: How Are You Getting Your Fix?
- One Surprising Way of Keeping Your Foot out of Your Mouth
- Moment of Clarity (video): Competency or Connection
Volume 4, Issue 4: April 2011
“One great use of words is to hide our thoughts.”
- Sorry, I Can’t Hear that Email
- The Temporary State of Enemy-ness
- Moment of Clarity: I Only Want to Help…
Volume 4, Issue 3: March 2011
“Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.”
~W. H. Murray
- Is It Time For a BOLDER you?
- Come On, Give Me a Duchenne
- Moment of Clarity: How Do You Feel About That?
Volume 4, Issue 2: February 2011
“You gotta be a man to play baseball for a living, but you gotta have a lot of little boy in you too”
Volume 4, Issue 1: January 2011
“Clarity often emerges in the wake of conflicting views”
~Peter Wehner, former director of the White House Office of Strategic Initiatives under President George W. Bush
- Excuse Yourself from the Dance
- The King’s Speech
- Moment of Clarity: Attorney General’s Warning (video)
Volume 3, Issue 12: December 2010
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response. In those choices lie our growth and our happiness.”
- How to Really Win
- A Toast to my Favorite Bad Guy
- Moment of Clarity: Have some fun doing what you REALLY love to do
Volume 3, Issue 11: November 2010
“If you beat your head against the rock wall long enough pretty soon your head takes the shape of the rock wall”
~Frank DeMotte (my Dad)
Volume 3, Issue 10: October 2010
“If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.”
- The Avocado Affair and the Roundabout Adventure
- November 2, 2010. The more things change……
- Moment of Clarity: Temptation (video)
Volume 3, Issue 9: September 2010
“And now the last question” said the rooster, “Do you always want what you think you want?”
~Maurice Sendak (in Kenny’s Window)
- Why do I want what I want?
- The Calm Starts with You
- Moment of Clarity: Finger Pointing or Fix the Processes (video)
Volume 3, Issue 8: August 2010
“Every human being’s essential nature is perfect and faultless, but after years of immersion in the world we easily forget our roots and take on a counterfeit nature.”
- Do You Know Who You Are? Really?
- The Real Secret To Winning Friends And Influencing People
- Moment of Clarity: Helmet as Knower/Judger (video)
Volume 3, Issue 7: July 2010
“We would rather be ruined than changed. We would rather die in our dread than climb the cross of the moment and let our illusions die.”~ W. H. Auden
- The Scorpion And The Frog
- Turn Your Failures Into Successes
- Moment of Clarity: The Power of the Conversation (video)
Volume 3, Issue 6: June 2010
“Corporal punishment is as humiliating for him who gives it as for him who receives it; it is ineffective besides. Neither shame nor physical pain have any other effect than a hardening one.”~ Ellen Keys